Thursday, May 5, 2011

What do you do with empty perfume bottles?

Don't we all love perfume. Thats the one thing we cannot get enough of and if you are lucky, you are almost always gifted a  beautiful bottle of perfume. I had a bagful of used up perfume bottles and they seemed just too pretty to throw out. Such care. thought and design goes into the making of these bottles, it would be just a shame if thats all they were, containers for a perfume.

As a part of my Product Design thesis (I can't tell you too much about it as technically the project is still owned by the school) I had worked on a luxury beauty product and a part of that was sustainability packaging. How can we get over this need to buy and throw? I came across a product on etsy.com and it got me thinking. I have had the idea on the back-burner for months now. Its about time I got around to what I call "me-time".

For Step 1 of the project this is what you are gonna need:
1. Empty perfume bottles (the bigger the better for this particular project)
2. A handy sturdy blunt knife (I took the smallest one out of my mothers kitchen set)
3. A strong will and determination to be destructive. Constructively of course.

Basically, we want to get rid of the metal/plastic spray tops. And trust me, if you have been following my tweets, you'd know you are gonna have your work cut out for you! I would assume that when the manufacturing companies set these nozzles on the bottles, they never expected anyone to remove them.
Though, at the end of it, the nozzles of the cheaper perfumes came off a tad bit more easily then the others. (Quality, huh?) Two of the perfume bottles were quite cleanly decapitated! A great skill if I were an executioner with a sword.

These poor bottles did not know what was coming 

Finally!

So this is what you should be left with. Naked exposed perfume bottles.

Stay tuned for Step 2.





No comments: